Immune Health 101.
Our immune systems have a critical job: keep people healthy by fighting illness and infections. Here is a quick primer on how our immune system functions and how Wellmune® works to help us be well and stay well.
Although the immune system is one fully integrated system, it is useful to think of it as having two parts:
1. The innate immune system.
- The innate immune system is the body’s first line of defense.
- It can quickly recognize, target and destroy infections without needing first to learn how to recognize an invading pathogen.
- The presence of antigens activates the innate immune system. This causes innate immune cells to migrate to sites of infection via the bloodstream. Innate immune cells then neutralize the pathogen(s) by engulfing and killing them.
- It has no long-term memory, so new receptors are made to adapt the immune response.
- Primary cell types of the innate immune system include macrophages, neutrophils, natural killer cells, dendritic cells, basophils, eosinophils.
2. The adaptive immune system.
- The adaptive immune system is slower and can’t respond instantly to infections. It needs time to adapt (or learn) to recognize them.
- After the first encounter with a pathogen, the adaptive immune system remembers what the pathogen looks like.
- When (or if) the same pathogen tries to infect the body again; the next response is rapid, accurate, and effective.
- Major cell types of the adaptive immune system include T cells and B cells.
Wellmune and immune health.
Wellmune interacts with human immune defenses that have evolved over millions of years to protect the body. Importantly, Wellmune supports immune function without over-stimulating the immune system.
How does Wellmune work?
Proof of efficacy.
Scientific understanding of Wellmune’s mechanism of action in the body is well documented in published, peer-reviewed research. Research provides clear data on Wellmune’s effect on the immune system and its ability to help:
- Improve general immune health.
- Maintain overall physical health.
- Protect against the harmful effects of stress.
- Promote healthy energy levels and mental clarity.